This role is an exciting opportunity to join The Conco Companies based in Concord, California. This is a chance to join a company that has been delivering premium concrete services throughout the Western United States since 1959.
This position reports to and collaborates with the CFO. The ideal candidate has formal accounting education including a CPA (preferred), possesses several years of construction and real estate accounting experience, has a professional, self-motivated, positive attitude, can perform with minimal supervision, and loves a challenge. The position also oversees the company’s corporate and owner tax planning and compliance. The ideal candidate also has the desire and capacity to grow with the company and embraces the opportunity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead, manage, mentor, and develop supervisors and their teams in the accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general ledger departments, including establishing goals and objectives, and proactively addressing employee related issues.
- Good understanding of GAAP for depreciation, capitalization of assets, revenue recognition, purchase price allocation of building acquisitions and other new pronouncements as they may apply to the company’s operations.
- Analyze and research technical accounting matters, providing accurate and comprehensive documentation of issues identified and resolutions reached.
- Review and revise accounting policies and procedures as needed to improve accuracy, increase transparency, and improve control activities.
- Review financial results versus budget and prior periods, identifying trends and concerns.
- Work closely with outside CPA firm regarding preparation of corporate income tax returns, as well as supporting the financial audit and preparation of annual published financial statement.
- Review daily banking and cash flow management, as well as maintaining positive relations with banking partners and ensuring that quarterly covenant ratios are calculated to support compliance.
- Analyze results of various costs that are allocated to the construction jobs and equipment including monitoring variances; identifying trends; recommending actions to management.
- Guide cost analysis process by establishing and enforcing policies and procedures; providing trends and forecasts.
- Develop cash flow forecasting and maintain a long-term cash forecast.
- Manage and evaluate annual physical inventory across multiple locations.
- Oversee the filing of sales/use and personal property tax returns.
- Assist the Risk Manager with corporate insurance policy renewals.
- Additional tasks as requested.
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required, CPA preferred.
- A minimum of 7 to 10 years of accounting and tax experience in a construction setting and/or public accounting experience with construction clients required.
- Proficient with data analysis, critical thinking, and problem-solving.
- Excellent understanding of, and experience with, US GAAP, internal controls, financial reporting, revenue recognition according to ASC606, corporate tax concepts, Job costing and WIP reporting, regulations and best practices.
- Advanced MS Excel skills, MS Office proficiency, and experience with project accounting software.
- A track record of developing engaged, high-performing teams.
- Highly organized with a keen attention to detail, energetic, and deadline oriented.
- Ability to work well under pressure, set priorities and maintain a positive attitude with strong leadership and management skills.
- Able to see the big picture in terms of financial reporting accuracy and quality, and can build the appropriate accounting, financial reporting, and forecasting processes to support the vision.
- Leadership, resilience, and persistence to implement change and collaboration that leads a team through the obstacles or challenges that come with change.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organization and time management skills, and experience implementing process improvements, ability to work independently, and take initiative.
About the Conco Companies
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package including Medical, Dental, Flexible Spending Account, Life Insurance, Vision Insurance, 401k with Employer Match, Profit Sharing, Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays.
The company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age disability, genetics, or protected Veteran status. We participate in the US Federal Government E-Verify program to confirm the employment authorization of employee upon hire.