The Conco Companies is an expert at producing concrete for a variety of needs, including pipe abandonment backfill. As an alternative to traditional sand slurry backfill, Conco produces ConFoam™, a cellular concrete made from a mixture of cement, water, and preformed foam. It’s one of the most cost-effective solutions for pipe abandonment backfill due to its self-compaction and lightweight composition.
ConFoam™ Safely and Quickly Fills Pipes
ConFoam™ is a dependable abandonment backfill because it self-compacts, doesn’t settle or shrink, and can be pumped across thousands of feet into pipes that are difficult to reach with traditional equipment. ConFoam™ flows at <60 psi at 7,500+ feet, a lower pressure than that of typical sand slurry mixes, and can fill entire pipelines through minimal access points. Its equipment is also quickly mobilized and can finish pipe abandonment jobs within a single day. When the pipes decay, the rigid structure of ConFoam™ will significantly reduce the risk of underground voids.
Fill a Variety of Pipelines
By customizing the ConFoam™ mixture for various densities, Conco can utilize it for a multitude of projects, including pipelines of all types and sizes. It can backfill everything from abandoned sewer lines to water lines, fuel tanks, septic tanks, culverts, and more. ConFoam™ is also a quicker and more cost-effective choice than removing decommissioned pipelines, which disrupts communities and causes traffic congestion.
Additional benefits of using ConFoam™ for pipe abandonment backfill are:
- Self-Compaction – ConFoam™ doesn’t need mechanical compaction or compaction testing.
- Customizable – ConFoam™ can be produced to match the weight of the soil surrounding the pipeline.
- Lightweight – ConFoam™ can be produced to weigh less than compacted base materials or native soils.
- Quicker and Safer Placement – ConFoam™ installation uses less equipment and manpower than traditional backfill methods. Workers don’t need to be in the excavation site, reducing risk of injury.
- Low pressure delivery – pump long distances without having to put excessive pressure on the pipe itself.
Since 1959, The Conco Companies has proven our expertise in an array of concrete services. We continue to improve our facilities to better serve the growing market for commercial, industrial, and public projects. Contact The Conco Companies for information on how you can save time and money with ConFoam™ pipe abandonment backfill.